Oat milk is the preferred choice of milk in my home. Although we are not a dairy-free household, oat milk is the perfect texture for coffee, oats, and smoothies. You can easily avoid the cost and unnecessary fillers used in commercial brands by making your own. You can also adjust the sweetness by adjusting the number of dates that you use.
This recipe takes about fifteen minutes to make and lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can buy the nut milk bags I used here and the milk jars here.
Let me know how you liked this recipe.
5c filtered water
1c organic oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2c soaked raw cashews
1. Soak cashews for 6-12 hours in filtered water with a pinch of sea salt. Making sure to discard the water they soaked in and rinse the soaked cashews before using. If in a crunch for time, they can be used without soaking, just tastes more creamy when they are.
2. Combine oats, water, salt, dates, and cashews in a high-speed blender for 1-2 minutes on high.
3. Pour through a nut milk bag into a pourable bowl.
4. Squeeze and milk the bag, making sure to get as much liquid out as possible.
5. Pour into an empty milk jug, and enjoy. Making sure to shake very well before each use.