My love for my ancestors and family is best expressed when baking. Creating this Reel was emotionally moving. A deep connection to my family and times of the past were tuned into by adding each ingredient. Fond memories of our traditional Christmas Eve Slovak gatherings.
This recipe was inspired by my Grandmother Hubinsky’s own recipe. I have chosen to use the poppy seed filling, which can also be filled with Lekvar or any nut paste. Please let me know if you try it!
Poppy Seed Filling:
8oz Poppy Seeds, ground
3/4c Hot water
1/2c Walnuts or pecans, ground finely
1c Coconut sugar
2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Vanilla
Zest from one lemon
For the Dough:
4 1/2 tsp Gluten free active dry yeast
2c Warm milk (oat, almond, goat, or cow) at 105-115 degrees. This will be divided throughout the recipe.
5c Gluten free flour mix (Xanthan gum included)
3/4c Coconut sugar
1 tsp Pink sea salt
5 Large eggs at room temperature
1 Egg yolk
1/2c Softened unsalted butter (regular or vegan butter)
Make the poppy seed filling
- Begin by grinding the poppy seeds in a spice or coffee grinder. Grinding about 1/4c at a time. You’ll know when the seeds are ground well enough as they release their aroma and begin to clump. Once seeds are ground, place them in a small bowl and add 3/4c of water. Then set aside. The water will absorb into the seeds at this time creating somewhat of a paste.
2. In another medium-sized bowl, combine walnuts, coconut sugar, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix together well.
3. Add the ground poppy seeds to the medium-sized bowl mixture from step 2, and mix together well.
4. Set aside to rest while you mix the dough.
Make the dough
- Mix 1/2c of the warm milk with yeast in a small heat-safe bowl. Set aside for about 15-20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dough.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten free flour, sweet rice flour, coconut sugar, salt, eggs, remaining milk, and melted butter. Mix about 1/2 of the way, then slowly combine in yeast and milk mixture from step one.
- Continue to mix with a paddle attachment, or use your hands until smooth.
- Scrape the dough into a clean and greased bowl and let rest for one hour.
Shape the Rolls and Bake
- After the dough has been set, separate it into two equal-sized balls and place them on two pieces of floured parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough into two long rectangles.
- Add half of the poppy seed mixture to each rectangle of dough and spread it evenly.
- Roll the dough up into the shape of a log, tucking the ends under so the poppy seed mixture does not leak out.
- Flip the roll so the end is tucked underneath (refer to my Instagram Reel to see how this is done)
- Place the rolls to the side and let sit for another hour.
Baking the Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/166 C
- Brush top of rolls with the yolk of one egg
- Place the rolls into the oven and back for 50-60 minutes
- Let cool completely before serving
- Slice thinly to see the poppy seed swirl inside.